The inevitable culture shock post

There isn't a travel blog without a post about culture shock and it's inconceivable hassle. So of course I had to throw in my experience of the phenomenon as well in order to feel like a real blogger.

Its obvious to say that the culture in China is like a completely different world to that of the west. 

It must be said that being from a Scottish city of 1 million people, and moving to a Chinese city of 12 million is quite a jump. More people means less space, and that equals harassment and discomfort. However being in such a buzzing city is something of a wonder to me.

There has been several points throughout the time we've spent here that I have found strange things that weren't what you'd consider culture shock but just recognition of the slight differences. The best example I could find of this is the first time I bought toilet roll; here they have no cardboard in the middle. Its not going to change my life but its just a slight notable change to the normal at home.

One thing I was made aware of but hadn't taken much note of was the amount of native Chinese people who have never seen a white foreigner in their lives. Being in China as a foreigner is like walking down the red carpet in a show stopping gown; all eyes on you. I'm not joking when I say it feels like paparazzi are following you, they aren't even discreet about it; I've had a man take photos of my friends and I from across the road with a professional camera, people stop me in the street to ask me where I'm from and kindly ask for a selfie so they can send it to their friends and boast that they met a British girl. It really is a nice experience to have random people speak charmingly broken English to you in the queue of a convenience store. You can't walk 100 yards without being looked at strangely, and in a way I find it oddly welcoming.
I doubt that we'll start taking pictures of Chinese tour groups in the heart of Glasgow as a greeting but it certainly makes you feel interesting and exotic.

Comments

Popular Posts